Ready for your Fall move?
Where has the time gone? Summer is over, but there are still many people scheduling last-minute moves before the fall is in full swing. Even though moving can be an exciting time, it can also be overwhelming.
Here are five professional tips to ensure a smooth move:
• Packing strategies are important. Pack your least essential items first and the most essential items last. Fill a box with moving day essentials like paper plates, medicine, paper towels, toiletries, all documents related to settlement and closing of homes, checkbooks and a list that includes your movers’ contact information, in case of emergency.
• Have a plan for your furniture. Draw up a floor plan for where items will all go in the new home, so that the movers know exactly where all the furniture should be placed. This will save you time and money, and help you to avoid injury or item damage when the heavy-lifters are gone. Also, label your boxes on each side, so that when they are stacked your movers know exactly where to unload your items.
• Donate items to charity. There are many local charities where you can donate items that you no longer need before your move. Everyone wins in this case and you won’t have to pay to have unnecessary items boxed or brought to your new home.
• Schedule elevator access. If you are moving into or out of a condominium or apartment building with elevator access, you may need to reserve use of the elevator for a block of time on moving day. Typically, buildings have a 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. slot and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. slot open, for such uses. Check with your condominium or apartment building to see if there are any blackout days where moves are not allowed.
• Clean out your fridge. Unplug, defrost and dry out your refrigerators and freezers at least 24 hours before the move day, that way you won’t have to worry about it among the shuffle. Additionally, avoid packing liquids as they can expand, explode and ruin other items you’ve packed. These simple steps can make a huge difference in moving to a new home. And, with good planning and the support of a skilled and professional moving team, you can easily make sure your move is a stress-free experience.